I have now been in Japan for over 10 months. I have been living in a small rural town, and attempting to teach Eigo to Nihon-jins who really can't be arsed. But i have done some awesome travelling and had some amazing experiences!

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Week 45

I arrived in fukui at 8ish and I was shattered. The bus had been worse than the one we caught to Tokyo. I did not sleep much at all. So I cycled home and took the day off work to nap and relax.

This week was busy. I had tea ceremony on Tuesday, English class on Wednesday, my last elementary visit on Thursday and running, tennis or the gym every night. The elementary visit was fun but a little daunting due to being observed by many parents. But all the classes went well and I was a little sad that I wouldn’t be seeing any elementary kids again. On Saturday I ran in the morning and then headed to Fukui for a taiko performance. Once again it was for the old folk of fukui but at a different place to last time. It was a care home, but a pretty decent one. I was quite surprised to see how old and fragile some of the residents were but they appeared to enjoy the loud taiko drumming and the gaijin trying to speak Japanese! After this I went to Frisbee for a short time before the heavens opened, and then I went home to do a few chores before going for sushi with J and K.

On Sunday I was up at 5.30 to go down to Osaka. Tom was arriving for a 2 week break. I was excited to have someone from back home experiencing my life here. he was pretty tired from a long journey, but we got to Kyoto, had sushi and a brief walk around the station area, before he headed to the hotel to nap. Tom had booked us into the Hotel Granvia for 2 nights which was lovely. We were upgraded to a suite room with a stunning view over Kyoto. Whilst tom slept, I had a walk around the shops in the station and then headed back to rest before heading out again. We decided to find a restaurant in the hotel area for dinner. We ended up in a family type restaurant and had nabe. We finished the evening with mochi munching whilst looking out across the twinkling lights across Kyoto. It was a cool day, and fun to show someone how to do stuff in this weird and wonderful country!

No comments: