I have now been in Japan for over 10 months. I have been living in a small rural town, and attempting to teach Eigo to Nihon-jins who really can't be arsed. But i have done some awesome travelling and had some amazing experiences!

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

week 43

This week I have been mostly:

Playing tennis
Going to the gym
Trying to sell my car
Selling my car
Doing taiko
Running
Teaching elementary school kids the wonders of English

School itself was pretty boring. Teachers really seem to not want me around which sucks. Not sure if this is because I am leaving in 2 months, because they suddenly don’t like me or because they are once again far to busy to concern themselves with team teaching. The only nice thing that seems to be happening at the moment is that some people seem to be gaining confidence to come and try to communicate with me. Whether it is in English or Japanese..i don’t mind what language it is in because non verbal communication, gestures, tone etc can all convey messages. But to be acknowledged and respected as a fellow human being is nice! I don’t expect them to make all the effort at all, I really haven’t become that bitter towards Japanese people its just I felt as thought my initial efforts were kind of ignored. And I was the alien in the very foreign situation, and so in my eyes I was in the harder situation. I do like some of my teachers and I wish I could have spoken Japanese better and communicated more with them.

On Saturday I had a lazy morning and then I went and played a hard session of Frisbee in Matsuoka in the lovely sunshine. It really is a tougher game than it maybe appears. After this, kim, kat and I went for sushi and then we had a quick meet up with jordana and yoshimi and milkshakes. On Sunday I had a little run and then john, kim and I went down to the Miyazaki pottery festival in Echizen. The festival turned out to be lovely..but expensive! There were lots of stalls of different ceramics at cheaper than usual prices. It was another beautiful day and so there were lots of people there, although it didn’t feel too crowded. I wish I had had more money to buy plates, bowls, mugs, sake sets and so on. But I also had to remind myself that I don’t have a home to put them in! After the festival we went back and john and kim were having a get together at their house for tacos and video games. I didn’t partake in the video games but the tacos were good, and the board game was fun too.

No comments: