I have now been in Japan for over 10 months. I have been living in a small rural town, and attempting to teach Eigo to Nihon-jins who really can't be arsed. But i have done some awesome travelling and had some amazing experiences!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

week 15

After the madness of a most excellent weekend, this weekend I felt a bit poop. School was ok, but its too cold for me already, and the rain was ghastly too. I caught quite a grim cold too so I was looking and feeling like a roughian. I went to taiko on Wednesday which was as fab as ever, but I was not feeling good. Decided to take Thursday off of school, although I wanted to be a good ALT and go in briefly to plan for Friday’s lessons. Boy will I never do that again! I ended up being forced to go to a hospital with my Kyoto sensei (deputy head). They wouldn’t just let me go home and sleep! So I went to a very clean and modern small hospital in Maruoka (in Japan there are no doctor surgeries. Whatever your complaint, you go to a hospital). Kyoto sensei was very sweet and plucked up the courage to speak English and be very caring towards me. He arranged for an English speaking woman to talk to me so that she could translate between the Dr and myself. I was asked a million questions and examined thoroughly- and boy do I mean thoroughly, why I had to have my chest felt was beyond me! I HAVE A COLD PEOPLE not pneumonia! I had to decline the offer of an injection, for what I am still not sure. Instead I was given 10 pills to take a day and informed the amazing diagnosis that I had a cold. And to add to the fun and games I paid 2000\ (10pounds) for this worthwhile hour.

I had a good rest on the sofa all day and then dragged myself to the ekiwae to teach my adult class. By the weekend all I felt like doing was sleeping and I did do lots of that. But I also went to a really funny slumber party at Beata’s on Friday night and to Kim’s birthday bash on Saturday night. Both were really good!

At Beata’s we managed to squeeze 17 girls into her apartment alongside 10 tonnes of yummy food and a swimming pool of booze. It was nice to see many girls who I hadn’t seen for a long time. I was practically wetting myself with laughter for about 4 hours as we played games and talked about girly stuff. I particularly loved Laura’s cheating during Twister, Melissa and Steph’s amazing humor, Mel’s memoirs of life changing events and general drunken banter! I however didn’t stay at Beata’s due to the lingering cold and knowing that I would have been number 1 bitch in the morning without any sleep. So gizzard face and I went back to my house to sleep.

On Saturday after a leisurely sleep and chill out, Jordana and I left the house at 1pm. We stopped at a few shops before I dropped her back home and went into Fukui. I had a waltz around the shops and then met Lauren and Jill in Seattle’s. We watched the rain plummet from inside the cosy coffee shop. But had to venture out eventually. Lauren showed me where I could purchase a birthday cake for Miss Butler. In the basement of Seibu was a whole area I had not discovered! I know this will be quite shocking, but I had not explored the cake, sweets and chocolate area!!! I didn’t know it existed! But I’m kinda glad I hadn’t found it before now as I think I would be one cake-eating monster.

That evening I met Kim, John, Andy, Donna and James in the local Izakaya where we had met the mafia previously. It was a good meal and then we headed back to John and Kim’s for some beverages- and of course Smash Brothers! I tried my first ever margarita and god I could be hooked on them now. Although there was a bit of mayhem (no wet on the dry please!) whilst making these delights, to me it was worth it! Yum yum yum… Oh and i also tried my first carbomb (?). Guiness with a shot of baileys dropped in (literally) which was very tasty too.

On Sunday I once again had a nice sleep then went for a run whilst the rain held off. I then decided to try and find the newly opened Plant 3- a huge shop with everything you could want or need. I had no idea of its location really, but I was eager for a little adventure. I was very impressed with myself actually, coz I found it really easily! And I spent the next hour and a half buying lots of stuff and holding myself back from throttling the young Japanese children who were in full voice demanding the world from their parents- I have recently noticed that parents do not seem to discipline their children. When I see children throwing tantrums the parents appear to give in to their demands and give them what they want, or shower them in cuddles and attention. As an Early Childhood Studies (BA) graduate, this is not the most constructive way to deal with brats. I did previously think that Japanese toddlers were a lot quieter and well behaved than their English counterparts, but now I’m not so sure.

After getting drenched walking from the shop to the car, I expertly navigated my way home and spent the rest of the day doing chores and reading- once again I realize how exciting my life is!

No comments: